4.14.2009

Cities and Discussions on sovereignty

I went down to the cities this past weekend to visit Cal and Christina. We had some good times, watched the Final Four at Joe's. Luke and I had a good conversation about God, rain, and Sovereignty.

It all made me think. God's sovereignty is one thing that I think ties in directly with my faith and trust, yet it wasn't until Luke brought it up that I really started thinking about it.God's sovereignty seems really about the recognition that God is in control, that His ways are higher than mine. This may seem elemental, let me expound.

Sovereignty has causes a lot of issues with many believers, the challenge of reconciling evil with a belief in an all-loving God. Issues dealing with such powerful questions as "why bad things happen to good people?"; "If God was really loving He would not allow that to happen."While I feel that an aspect regarding the question of God's sovereignty is related to free will, the ironic thing about believing that there is a higher being with an ability to do that which is above us, is that when we attempt to grasp this thing called sovereignty we realize we will never fully understand it. Which only makes sense. This is where faith comes in. Without a faith system it would be truly impossible to begin to attempt to understand much less accept the truth that there are events that occur beyond our human control, but not beyond the reach of God. These are the glasses we must don before we look back at an unsavory event, or even looking ahead at a potential issue in the future. We must either understand or accept the truth of a sovereign God, or we deny our faith all together. If we attempt to deny just the singular facet of faith that is God's sovereignty, we may then through in the towel. There is no reason to have a belief or place trust in a God who is not in control or is at our human level of understanding. A level that wrestles with the problem of pain, grasping at the straws of comprehension.

For a personal example, in my life right now, if I choose now to throw away my faith in a sovereign God, it does nothing for me, nothing to further my position in life. If, on the other hand, I decide to believe, seek to understand and accept with faith the work of a God who is above me, I find that I may be no further in my understanding but I am able to rest in a peace of knowing a loving being is over all. Many may read this declaring it an argument for a "crutch" use of faith. I would say that that is exactly what it is! Surprised? No one with a broken limb refuses help, a crutch to aid in their walking. A faith in a sovereign God in the midst of turmoil is an aid to the soul. I feel sorry for those whose hearts and souls are busted yet are too proud to embrace the healing help of faith. Some claim it is a weakness to use such a crutch, a lean-to of beliefs. I dare say it takes a bigger man to acknowledge his helplessness and need for assistance than it does to hobble along on one foot refusing service of any kind. If I were to place my bet on a foot race pitting the injured man with the use of a walking stick opposed to the injured man hopping on one foot, my money would return. For the man with the use of the crutch is sure to win.

-BS

2 comments:

  1. thanks I need that crutch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you write Brenton. Good points here:) I also admit that I need a crutch too!-Lauren Gage

    ReplyDelete